Welcome to my "Now" page. A snapshot of my current focus and projects. I hope you enjoy your time here and get to know me better
Unlike an "About page," which is a look backward, this "Now" page is rooted in the present.
Shout out to Derek Sivers who created the idea of a "Now" page. You can see his page "Now" page here or the explanation of what a "Now" page is right here.
Derek is the author of Anything You Want: 40 Lessons for a New Kind of Entrepreneur, which I highly recommend you buy right now and read. This book will get you to question assumptions and unleash the creativity embedded in your organization. The audio version is wonderful, since Derek recorded it himself.
What I'm Reading
QBQ! The Questions Behind the Question by John G. Miller. We're about to start this in the mastermind I invest in facilitated by my mentor Aaron Walker. I'm a huge fan of questions and anything that will help me "level up" I welcome. Can't wait to get this started!
The Better Leaders Better Schools Roadmap by Yours Truly. I actually did not want to read this in the mastermind I lead for school leaders. At first glance that was because I didn't want to seem egotistical, "This is my book and we're reading it in my mastermind!" But upon further reflection, I didn't want to read my book in my mastermind because I had an upper limit challenge.
Specifically, my upper limit challenge is that I feel "fundamentally flawed" a.k.a. that my work doesn't bring value. That is complete rubbish! If that were true, I wouldn't have a thriving community for school leaders nor would people listen to my podcast more than 20K downloads a month!
I bring massive value in everything I do! So now we're reading my book because 1) members will grow and 2) I can face and eradicate an upper limit challenge. If you want a text that is easy to read and offer practical advice to creating a legendary school starting today, then this one is for you!
This is Marketing by Seth Godin. I'm listening to the audio of this book read by the author. It is impacting me in profound ways as Seth's work usually does. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the likes, retweets, and follower counts in social media, but none of that matters. The biggest gift this book has given me so far is to challenge how I think about spreading my ideas and serving school leaders. Three questions I am thinking deeply about:
- The mastermind is for people who believe _________.
- And for people who want __________.
- I promise that by engaging in the mastermind __________.
Small Giants: Companies That Choose to Be Great Instead of Big by Bo Burlingham. I don't want to run a large business. I only want to coach 60 school leaders in my leadership community. I want to stay small to preserve the relationships. I want to know what's going on in everyone's life.
The Recipe by Charles Carroll and John David Man. https://betterleadersbetterschools.com/john-david-mann/. He's great and that makes me want to read as many of his books as I can.
Game of Thrones: A Storm of Swords. I'm reading this so I'm not always in education, leadership, or business world. Plus I love reading some fiction where I can escape and dream!
What I'm Creating
My first book for school leaders, The Better Leaders Better Schools Roadmap, is out and released as a #1 Hot New Release in Amazon! I recorded the audio book in September and my production team is currently editing it. My goal is to have that ready for the 2018 holiday season.
I delayed gratification of starting my next book. I'm pretty sure it's going to be on vision or building culture and in the format of a fable for school leaders. I want to do a series of fictional tales where leadership principles are taught through a narrative style. I have a few ideas on how to start this one. If you are curious on the style I want to emulate check out either The Ideal Team Player or The Go-Giver Leader.
Not working on the book right away was actually quite difficult. With every decision you have to consider, "If I say 'Yes' to this than what am I saying 'No' too? I am crystal clear that I want to do two things, and only two things: coach and create content for leaders. In order to make this part of my vision a reality, I need to hire a 6th team member. In order to hire someone new I worked the steps of my delegation roadmap. This profound exercise helps leaders identify everything they are currently doing and create process documents and videos so a new team member can be incredibly successful. I am excited to see what this new hire will free me up to do.
I am soon taking a sabbatical from recording new content for the Better Leaders Better Schools Podcast and will begin recording again in March. The podcast will still release episodes, I'm just far ahead of the game.
The School Leadership Series podcast is rocking and rolling. I've built a team of heroic educators with the mission to amplify the diverse voices in education. There are too many women and leaders of color whose voices are extinguished. Not on my watch and not on my platform. No project excites me more than this in 2019.
Growing a YouTube channel is hard work! I'm not sure if it's worth my time. I really enjoy it and it's pushing me to become a more engaging story teller, but I'll have to make some tough decisions regarding this soon!
My Three Goals This Quarter
I use The 12 Week Year philosophy for goal setting and attainment. This quarter I have three goals.
- A revenue goal that I'm working toward by growing my business. This is a multi-step project, but the first sub-goals are to grow the Mastermind from 43 - 60 members and my 1-on-1 coaching from 2 -5 leaders. UPDATE: 45 leaders are now in the mastermind and it will be permanently closed at 60. I now have 7 1-on-1 coaching clients and because of my hard work on the delegation roadmap I am able to focus on serving more leaders in a coaching capacity. I
- I want to lose 2-4% body fat. This past July I turned 40. I feel great and in many ways I'm in the best physical shape of my life. I want six-pack abs. Partly because I want to look good, partly because I want to maintain a high level of fitness, and mostly because I don't have kids right now. If kids are in my future (and I hope they are), I want to be able to play and keep up with them. The only way I'll be able to do that as an older parent is by maintaining great fitness. My body fat percentage at the beginning of the quarter (July 1) was 18.2%. UPDATE: Miriam and I moved from Belgium to Holland and we had to throw out our scale so my tool that was measuring body fat is no longer in my possession. I have been eating well, but have gone a bit crazy on chocolate and although I ride my bike everyday, I haven't done Crossfit for three weeks. Now that we know we'll be in Holland through December I'm going to join a new gym.
Publish my first book (and start my next). In just a few weeks I will cross off a bucket list item - write one book. Next is write three books, then five, then 50! I'll have to publish at least one book per year to get to 50 (and probably more)!UPDATE: My first book is published and the audio is under works. Now I have focused on working my delegation roadmap so I can work myself out of the day-to-day operations of operating my podcast company and focus on just 1) creating content and 2) coaching leaders.
This page was updated November 25, 2018