Experience Relevant, Responsive, and Results-Oriented Professional Development™ by joining The Ruckus Maker Mastermind™ today!
World Class Coaching And Mentorship For Growth-Minded School Leaders
The Ruckus Maker Mastermind™ provides a rare opportunity — world class coaching and mentorship on a weekly basis. Most school leaders grow the hard way — by making mistakes and learning from years of experience. When you join The Ruckus Maker Mastermind™ you accelerate your growth because you are connected with a team of coaches and mentors who will push you out of your comfort zone. There’s a reason 100% of our members agree that the #1 way they grow their skills is through their mastermind membership.
How it Works
Since 2015 we’ve been hosting the mastermind experience virtually on Zoom. Meetings last for an hour. During a meeting we freely share resources and tools, discuss a wide range of leadership topics, and facilitate a Hot Seat experience (where we solve your #1 challenge).
Being on the Hot Seat and solving your #1 challenge is extraordinarily valuable. But members have told us that not being on the Hot Seat is actually even more valuable because:
- You get an insider view on how other leaders think
- You are reminded of stuff to prepare for
- You are exposed to stuff you had no idea existed (and now you are proactive versus reactive)
- And it feels good to help your colleagues.
When you join The Ruckus Maker Mastermind™ you also get access to Deep Work Days™ and The Automatic School™.
Deep Work Days™
We host two of these workshops a year and there is no cost to attend the event. The point is to protect a day where you can strategically think, implement our proprietary tools, and connect with your mastermind peers.
The Automatic School™
Imagine a campus where the students, staff, parents, and other stakeholders are so empowered, the school basically runs itself. This is the “Shargri La” of school leadership and NO, it’s not too good to be true.
We call this concept The Automatic School™ and have found that there are three distinct stages to get there:
- The Lead Domino Stage: Mastering Self-Leadership
- The Ripple Effect Stage: Building a World-Class Culture
- The Big Picture Stage: Applying Systems Level Thinking, Mental Models, and Strategy
The Lead Domino Stage: Mastering Self-Leadership
As an educational leader, you must be able to model the behavior, mindset, and values you expect from your team.
This means developing a strong sense of purpose, honing your emotional intelligence, and cultivating resilience in the face of challenges. By focusing on personal growth, you set the stage for the entire school community to thrive.
The Ripple Effect Stage: Building a World-Class Culture
Nurturing relationships is key to building a world-class culture.
This involves fostering collaboration and trust among staff, creating a safe and inclusive environment for students, and engaging parents as partners in education.
As a leader, your role is to inspire and empower your team, allowing them to take ownership of their work and contribute to the school’s success. By cultivating a strong culture, you create a ripple effect that positively impacts the entire school community.
The Big Picture Stage: Applying Systems Level Thinking, Mental Models, and Strategy
The final stage of the AUTOMATIC SCHOOL™ journey is applying systems-level thinking, mental models, and strategy to take your leadership to the next level.
his means understanding the interconnectedness of various elements within the school and identifying opportunities for improvement. By analyzing data, setting strategic goals, and fostering a culture of continuous learning and innovation, you can drive meaningful change throughout the organization.
Once you have successfully navigated through each of the three stages, you will have created an AUTOMATIC SCHOOL™.
This program includes:
- 1 video per month aligned to the stages
- 1 tool aligned to the video content so leaders can take action and create a result
- 1 group coach call (4th week of the month) to discuss the content, tools, and participate in a hot seat.
Is The Ruckus Maker Mastermind™ For You?
Do you consider yourself a Ruckus Maker in Education? Every Ruckus Maker is committed to three things:
- Your continuous growth
- Challenging the status quo
- Designing the future of school
After you complete your application, the BLBS team will reach out within 48 hours to set up an exploration call.
We’ll also send you a copy of The School Leadership Scorecard™ so you can evaluate your current level of performance and identify where you’d like to grow in the next 90 days. This will give us a better idea of how we can over deliver for you!
Go from exhausted to energized
“The other day, I got a high five from a teacher during a walk-through. She told me, ‘We did it.’ That ‘we’ includes me, because I had been part of her growth.”
Solving teacher retention challenges..
“The guidance and support at the very beginning of my mastermind experience has really helped me mature and set a clear vision of what I wanted, which was to build trust.”
Grow your confidence
“I recognized that self-criticism was getting in the way … The mastermind experience is incredibly validating. It definitely has grown my confidence.”
Build a world-class culture
“I wanted to build a school where kids come every single day and they feel loved and cared for and seen and heard. ”
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Mastermind?
For too many school leaders, PD is Too-Little-Too-Late, Unhelpful, and Disconnected.
The mastermind redefines professional learning for school admin …
We offer Relevant, Responsive, and Results-Oriented Professional Development™.
Relevant because we talk about what is currently happening in educationa and what we anticipate the future to bring.
Responsive because we meet you where you’re at and help you solve your #1 challenge each week.
Results-Oriented because if you’re not applying what we teach and what you learn, it’s really just a waste of everyone’s time.
The The Ruckus Maker Mastermind™ runs on the ABCs of Powerful Professional Development ®.
By intentionally integrating Authenticity, Belonging, and Challenge something magical and transformational occurs.
You can learn all about the value, transformation, and investment required to join the mastermind right by reading Mastermind: Unlocking Talent Within Every School Leader where you can peek behind the curtain and find out about the Mastermind in detail.
Recently on the podcast, we have been highlighting Mastermind members’ stories, so that’s another great way to find out what we’re all about.
When am I able to join?
When do groups meet? How often do groups meet?
I’m worried that I’ll get lost in the group, do you offer private coaching?
What is the pace or rhythm of the group. How much time do I need to invest?
We currently meet weekly taking only four breaks throughout the year:
One week for Thanksgiving (USA)
Two weeks for Winter Holidays / New Years
One week for July 4
The last week of the year is off for The Ruckus Maker Mastermind™ so we can host a group coaching call for The Principal Success Path™ (included in your mastermind membership).
You can count on investing about 2-3 hours a week in The Ruckus Maker Mastermind™:
2-3 hours because:
*Each weekly meeting is one hour
*We read one leadership book every two months – you’ll need about an hour a week to read and annotate.
*We have a private Basecamp platform. This is where the additional hour of time would come in. It’s not mandatory, but the conversation continues via Basecamp and again — you’ll get more out of the group, the more you engage.
Does Danny personally facilitate the mastermind?
What is the size of the mastermind?
What topics does the mastermind focus on?
Is there an application process?
You better believe it! The number one reason the mastermind thrives is the quality of the membership. So to that extent, I personally vet every applicant to uphold the quality of our community. There is a simple application, that you can fill out! It takes around ten minutes to complete.
When might a spot open?
Currently, the mastermind has rolling admissions. If a seat is open, you can join! We’ve opened four new cohorts in the last year so we are confident there is space for you 🙂
Do you have advice on the mastermind application?
Be honest, authentic, and yourself. We are very interested in:
– Why you want to join.
– The current obstacles you face.
– What value you bring to our community (we are a give-to-give community … we’re not interested in entertaining “takers”).
Who's in the mastermind?
80 leaders in the local school or central office. These leaders are in private, public, charter, and independent schools. Members are currently located in the following states and countries:
- North Carolina
- New Jersey
- New York
- Saudia Arabia
Who is an ideal mastermind member?
The mastermind is for people who believe:
- leading in community is better than leading in isolation
- that leadership is an art that can be learned
- that the path to exponential leadership is through vulnerability and community
- big problems can be solved and it’s exciting to do so
And for people who want:
- support, connection, and community
- to take their leadership to the next level
- to engage in discussion about education and leadership that will challenge you to level up
I promise that engaging in the mastermind will help you:
- grow into the leader that you dream of and that your community deserves
If you can relate to those ideas, you’re almost there … an ideal mastermind member has these five characteristics as well:
- Driven by an inspiring mission and/or vision
- Desire to create a big impact
- Is working to solve an interesting problem
- Ready to commit to showing up and doing the work
- Has a “give-to-give” mentality.
Will I get in?
Maybe. The factors:
- Am I an “ideal mastermind member”?
- Am I ready to level up and invest in my development?
- Is there space?
What time zones/regions are eligible to apply?
Every single time zone. Please refer to the application page to see current cohort offerings. As of Sept 9, 2022 there are nine cohorts. Most focus on N. American time zone (which works for early morning Australians and New Zealanders). We also have one cohort that focuses on Africa/Europe/Middle Eastern time zones.
Is there an application fee?
Not at this time, but maybe in the future. At BLBS, we don’t need that for revenue. We can see it as a great way to separate leaders from those that are just window shopping and those who are ready to take their leadership to the next level.
If I am not accepted into the mastermind can I reapply?
Yes. If you’re not accepted into the mastermind, that means you didn’t illustrate how you are an ideal member of our community. Read that section over and do the personal work needed to become that leader. And after you have transformed, wait another six months and then reapply.
What can I expect?
Expect that you have found your tribe. If you are a rebel leader and ready to connect with a thriving community of authentic, innovative, and driven leaders, then welcome home ?
Meetings are (generally) every week for one hour. We share wins and offer accountability. We discuss leadership books from outside our industry. The “secret sauce” is the hot seat where a member gives the group context of a current challenge and we help her solve it. It’s magic.
How long is the term of membership? Are there contracts?
That’s your call. We have original members still in the group from when we launched in 2016. I tell all new apllicants to stick around for at least three months to see that our philosophy “sticks.” This will also give enough time to actually get to know other members and take action on what you learn in the mastermind.
After that the message is always the same — stay as long as you are growing and getting value from our community. If that ever changes, it is time to go.
How much is mastermind membership? Do you offer discounts?
Currently mastermind membership is $350/month. If you have the runway to invest for the year, we can offer a generous discount.
The mastermind is the best investment in your professional and personal growth available to you.
Can my district pay?
Absolutely! In fact, more and more members are asking their districts to cover the expense and many are saying “Yes!” The answer is always “No” unless you ask.
What kind of books do you read?
All kinds, but mostly books from outside our industry! My leadership approach is to expose you to great ideas and thinking outside of education. Let’s face it, you’re going to read plenty of education books without my help!
Here is a list of what we read (and will be reading) in the mastermind:
- July – Aug 2017: Ego is the Enemy
- Sept – Oct 2017: Leadership Step by Step
- Nov – Dec 2017: Never Split the Difference
- Jan – Feb 2018: The Happiness Advantage
- March – April 2018: Thinking Fast and Slow
- May – June 2018: Moments (Heath Bros)
- July – Aug 2018: The Art of Possibility
- Sept – Oct 2018: Great at Work
- Nov – Dec 2018: BLBS Roadmap
- Jan – Feb 2019: When
- March – April 2019: Culture Code
- May – June 2019: Emotional Intelligence 2.0
What types of payment are accepted?
Most members pay out-of-pocket, but some have successfully had their school / district cover the mastermind membership dues using PD or Title I funds. For those that pay out-of-pocket, it’s as easy as entering your card information one time on my secure website. Otherwise we can go the quote, PO, invoice route if your school / district will cover the investment in your leadership growth.
What is your refund policy?
The mastermind offers a 90-day money back guarantee.
If you are not thrilled with your experience and believe that the mastermind is helping you become a more effective leader, then we will happily return 100% of your investment.
To qualify for a refund there are two agreements:
- You agree to have excellent attendance (80% or higher). There is no way you will be thrilled or grow if you don’t show up.
- You agree to take action on what we teach. John Doerr said it best, “Ideas are easy. Execution is everything.” If you don’t apply what we teach, how do you expect to grow?
What is your deferral policy?
There is no deferral policy. If you are accepted into the mastermind you are welcome to join as long as seats remain. If you wait and seat is taken — sorry. We value action takers and leaders that are ready to immediately level up.
Do you offer scholarships?
At this time we do not offer scholarships.
Are reimbursements possible?
Some members have successfully asked their district to reimburse their investment in the mastermind.
What is your attendance policy?
There isn’t an official policy. If you miss a number of meetings, you can expect me to reach out and make sure everything is okay.
Three principles to consider when reflecting on attendance:
- You’ll get more from the experience the more you contribute (and attend meetings)
- We want to hear from you. Part of what makes the mastermind magical is the great perspectives from the community. We don’t get that if you are absent.
- If you are chronically absent, I may ask you to exit the group since your contribution is not making the group better.
I heard this quote the other day from Joel Weldon: “Success comes in cans, not in cannots.” Wow. Reminds me a lot of the power of the “Yes, and…!” in improv comedy.
And that’s the spirit behind a YesAQ. I learned about it from the altMBA and they cited the team at Basecamp who cited a rest stop in the Illinois-Wisconsin toll road. The leadership lesson: leaders empower and remove obstacles. So here is our giant list of questions that the answer is always “Yes” too.
Yes for the application:
- Can I apply if I’m a veteran school leader?
- Can I apply if I’m new to school leadership?
- Can I apply if I’m a teacher with admin credentials currently looking for an admin job?
- Can I apply if I live outside of the USA?
- Do you read each application?
- Does it matter what I put on the application?
- Do you really turn some leaders away?
- If I’m accepted can I ask additional questions before joining?
- Do you handpick each member?
Yes for our meetings:
- Can I wear pajama pants and a tee shirt?
- Can I miss meetings when there is a school or personal family function?
- Can I facilitate a meeting?
- When I facilitate can I change the format of the meeting?
- Can I ask personal questions during the hot seat?
- Are meetings really an hour?
- Will I be challenged and sometimes uncomfortable during meetings?
- Will the meetings change my life and help me level-up?
- Are earbuds (or other headphones) enough to participate in the meeting?
- Can I connect to a meeting on a laptop?
- Can I connect to a meeting on a smartphone or tablet?
Yes outside of meeting times:
- Can I contact you outside of meeting times?
- Can I contact other leaders outside of meeting times?
- Can I share resources after the meeting?
- Is there an organized place where you keep all mastermind resources?
- Do we ever meet face-to-face as a mastermind?
Yes for the books we read:
- Do you ship me the book we read?
- Can I have a kindle or audible version of the book?
- Will I enjoy the reading?
- Should I take notes while I read?
- Will I share key takeaways or create projects based on the reading?