In today’s post I discuss, “How to improve parent involvement in schools.” Most of my experience in education has been at the middle and high school level. It seems as kids age parents become less active or engaged in school events. Is this necessarily true?
Some elementary schools definitely struggle to get parents to attend school events. Does it have to be this way?
Watch the entire video to hear how you can leverage home visits to boost parent engagement. I’ll also share the exact questions to ask while conducting a home visit (and what to avoid).
For a lot of districts home visits are an untapped resource to boost parent engagement in schools.
Close your eyes and imagine for a second ...
You observe two families in a grocery store. One parent says to the other, "Did you get your home visit yet? Mine was just the other day and it was incredible!"
The other parent replies, "I didn't get my visit yet, but I can't wait to meet Miriam's new teacher!"
Sound too good to be true? It isn't! Done correctly, home visits can change parental engagement at your school.
One year into employing home visits as a strategy to improve parental involvement Stanton experienced:
- School events that were standing room only
- Parent attendance growing from 12% -> 73%
- Truancy declining from 28% -> 11%
- Suspensions declined from 321 students -> 24 students
- Academic scores shot through the roof (too much to write here!)
How to Boost Parent Engagement Video
How to Improve Parental Involvement in Schools Video Summary
Here is the executive summary of the video, How to Improve Parental Involvement in Schools:
- Home visits are a strategy that can boost parent involvement done correctly
- Home visits are all about relationships! Leave the contracts and "rules" at home. Nobody cares about that stuff! AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS! The purpose of the home visit is to develop a relationship with the family as well as learn how to help future students be successful.
- Ask questions that focus on school experience, the parents' hopes and dreams for their child, and how the student is typically successful in school.
- Tell me about your child's experience in school.
- Tell me about your experience in school.
- Tell me your hopes and dreams for your child's future.
- What do you want your child to be someday?
- What do I need to do to help your child learn more effectively?
- Schools that utilize home visits as part of their community outreach strategy see a boost in not only parent engagement, but improved student performance in all aspects of school.
- Many of the ideas come from the book, The Power of Moments, which you can purchase here.
Special Download: The secret power of home visits that will improve parent engagement
Did you enjoy this post, How to Boost Parental Involvement in Schools?
If you enjoyed this post, please share on social media and leave a comment below!
My mission is to help school administrators fight isolation and frustration via a leadership community in order to gain clarity and find solutions to their greatest challenges.
1. Join the Mastermind
I’ve put together an elite group of school leaders from 7 different countries that are growing exponentially via my weekly Mastermind coaching. You can learn all about the transformation you will experience and apply to the waitlist -- Click here
2. Productivity Coaching
I love teaching productivity and created a a-la-carte productivity course with 6 weeks of group coaching. If you'd like to learn how to accomplish more in life without working around the clock --
3. Let me help you "Live and Lead at Your Best"
Have you ever wondered why you are so stressed out as a leader? Do you have a sense of what is negatively impacting your mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual health? If you said "Yes" to either of those questions studies show that you are not alone! The problem is most leaders don't know what to do about it or how to address these issues. I can help.
I have helped over 100 leaders in a group coaching and 1-on-1 environment learn how to Live and Lead at Their Best and I can help you too. If this interests you, check out this page that describes how I can help. Take action and today you can address these challenges and create a plan to help you "show up" at your best both at work and more importantly, at home.
4. Work with me 1-on-1
If you’d like to work directly with me where I can help you gain clarity and find solutions to your greatest challenges, just reply to this message, put “1-on-1” in the subject line, and tell me a little about yourself and what you’d like to work on together, and I’ll get you the details!
DANNY "SUNSHINE" BAUER // Founder and President BLBS